Hi, I'm Mary!
I belive in joy & gratitude
My partner Kevin and I got married in March 2020. Our pandemic wedding looked nothing like we ever thought it would. We eloped on a Tuesday after work right before the public courthouse closed. Later on, the photographer we booked for our canceled June wedding spent a day with us capturing our partnership.
This story highlights why I'm passionate about capturing all kinds of moments – big and small – photography has a way of honoring your story how it unfolds authentically!
(Photo: Chelsey Ashford)
My business journey
- I've been doing photography since 2007, when I first traveled to Nepal with my family with my first digital camera.
- I was then a photographer for my high school newspaper, interned at a photography studio in college, and had a 5-year career in professional media, journalism, and communication.
- I have a management background as an editor and a director, which means I'm great at wrangling families at weddings, coordinating logistical details, and communicating effectively.
- From 2016-2019, I worked as an editor and manager for 6AM City, a hyperlocal media company based in S.C., where in addition to doing a lot of things, I managed and grew social media. This means lots of iPhone shots and live event photography!
- I have a photojournalism foundation, where I capture authentic moments. The images we create together will feel like living-breathing moments.
- I launched my photography business in the Spring of 2021 officially!
- In addition to photography, in August of 2021, I'll be starting as a middle school Speech & Debate teacher in Denver.
A few fun facts about me
- I'm an enneagram 3 and ENFP. I'm an extrovert and love connecting with allll the people.
- I am passionate about elevating voices, which is what inspired me to become a teacher.
- Born and raised in Fort Collins, Colorado, I have lived in: Flagstaff, AZ, Washington DC, Greenville, SC, Asheville, NC, Raleigh NC, and now Denver, CO!
- My partner and I have a mini golden doodle named Dax. He is the very best!
- I believe that Black lives matter and acknowledge my privilege as a white, cis person.
- I want to use my skills for good – I have a sliding scale for small business photography, and offer free headshots to those who need them and can't pay. (Contact me for details).
- I love running, hiking, indoor climbing, swimming. I'm running my first full marathon in October!
- Podcasts are one of my favorite things – I love Radiolab, This American Life, The Daily, Back From Broken, Code Switch, and Heavyweight.
- I'm alcohol-free and have been sober since Jan. 2019.
- I'm a jack-of-all-trades: I do copywriting, social media management, and communication consulting as well.
Taylor & Michelle
I have known Mary for a long time and not only is she a great friend, but she also is a great photographer! As a wedding and event planner, I work with a lot of photographers in my industry, and I can spot a good photographer when I see it. Mary has a great energy about her, but I also love the way she can capture moments by encouraging you to just be yourself and have fun!
She took family photos of my soon-to-be-wife, my daughter and I, and we are obsessed!! We love how they all turned out and how she really captured the day perfectly. Reach out to Mary if you are looking for a photographer!
Pema & Emma
We so loved reliving our day while looking through all of the beautiful photos. We also cried again! I can’t say it enough- thank you so much for being a part of our day and capturing all of the special moments. We are so grateful!
You did such an incredible job! I am SO happy with them. They really really do feel like they perfectly capture where I am. I’m so happy with them Mary!